The Museum of Russian Art has established a sizable and growing permanent collection of artistic objects of various types. These objects were acquired through the donation of artwork from private collectors and organizations that want their art to become accessible to the general public and to be preserved through professionally managed standards of conservation appropriate to all types of media.
There are several issues that both our prospective donors and the Museum have to consider when giving and accepting gifts of art.
- The Museum only accepts objects that represent a meaningful addition to the historical, cultural and aesthetic values of the Russian art and artifacts currently held in the TMORA permanent collection.
- The Museum must be able to provide proper storage, protection and preservation of the object under conditions that are consistent with professional accepted standards.
- The Museum only accepts art donations based on the donor’s irrevocable transfer of title and free from any donor-imposed conditions of display and storage.
- Donated objects should have clear title and, where possible, history of ownership (provenance).
- The Museum staff may examine artifacts but they cannot appraise or authenticate artwork. If your donation exceeds certain market values, the donor will provide an independent appraisal created by an I.R.S. approved appraiser.
- Find a professional appraiser at American Society of Appraisers or Appraisers Association of America.
- The Museum of Russian Art is a 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organization and your donation is fully tax-deductible at the respective federal and state level.
Objects of lesser value might be considered for addition to the Museum’s research/educational collection. The donation process for this collection is less rigorous.
If you are interested in donating to the collection please email the Program Associate, Randy Maurer, at firstname.lastname@example.org for a preliminary discussion. Please include the image/s of the proposed gift and all relevant information regarding its physical size, condition in the initial email. The donation can be accepted into the Museum’s permanent collection only after the decision of the Permanent Collections Committee comprised of the TMORA Director and Members of the Board of Trustees.