The Museum of Russian Art presents a photographic tour of major palaces and administrative buildings in St. Petersburg, the city that served as the capital of Imperial Russia from 1712 to 1918. All images on view are by Professor William C. Brumfield.
This exceptional collection of black and white photographs introduces American viewers to the grace, power and scale of buildings created during the Romanov dynasty over a period of two centuries. Over 30 remarkable photos taken by Dr. William C. Brumfield, professor of Slavic Studies at Tulane University, are displayed. These images emphasize the style and intricacies of St. Petersburg’s stone buildings representing the grandeur of the Imperial capital of 18th and 19th century Russia.
Traveling to Russia regularly over the past several decades, Professor William Brumfield is an accomplished photographer and historian of Russian architecture. He is the author of A History of Russian Architecture, considered one of the definitive publications on the subject.