“Imperial St. Petersburg: Architectural Visions” opens April 16, 2011

The Museum of Russian Art announces its newest exhibition—a photographic tour of major palaces and administrative buildings in St. Petersburg, the city that served as the capital of Imperial Russia from 1712 to 1917.  All images on view are by Professor William C. Brumfield.

MINNEAPOLIS (April 5, 2011) – TMORA presents an exceptional collection of black and white photographs that introduce American viewers to the grace, power and scale of buildings created during the Romanov dynasty over a period of two centuries.  Over 30 stunning photos taken by Dr. William C. Brumfield, professor of Slavic Studies at Tulane University, will be displayed.  These images emphasize the classical style and incredible intricacies of stone buildings representing the grandeur of the Imperial capital of 18th and 19th century Russia.

Traveling to Russia regularly over the past several decades, Professor William Brumfield is an accomplished photographer and historian of Russian architecture.  Professor Brumfield is the author of “A History of Russian Architecture,” considered one of the definitive publications on the subject.  He has received numerous international awards including a Guggenheim Fellowship.  He has also been elected to the Russian Academy of Architecture and the Russian Academy of the Arts, one of few Americans to receive the honor.

St. Petersburg, founded by Tsar Peter I (The Great) in 1703, was designed and built from scratch as a capital city.  Peter invited well-known European architects to plan and build the city that he envisioned as a doorway to introduce European technological advances to Russia.  Located on the same latitude as the southern tip of Greenland, St. Petersburg acquired the stature of the Russian Imperial capital while retaining the grace of what has been called the Venice of the North.

The exhibition will also provide visitors with an intriguing connection to TMORA’s concurrent exhibition “Dinner with the Tsars”; a display of Imperial porcelain used at various St. Petersburg palaces between 1743 and 1917.

Imperial St. Petersburg: Architectural Visions” will be on view through Thursday, September 15, 2011. For more information or for higher resolution images, please contact Lana Brooks.

###

Comments are closed.